Thursday 23 May 2013

Blog 3 – Interpersonal Communication


In the past few years I have managed to experience many Intercultural communication experiences as well as cultural diversity.

One of the experiences I wish to blog about is the role I undertake in my workplace.  I work at The Glasshouse, otherwise known as the Greater Port Macquarie Visitor Information Centre. Working in an information centre was very tricky at first. Although I have been living in Port Macquarie almost my whole life, having to explain to visitors (or locals who just need a bit of help) where to find everyday businesses i.e. Banks, Post Offices, Newsagencies etc. was quite difficult for me. I had to take a different approach in explaining directions to visitors.

I have now realised that when I was training, I was explaining to visitors how to find places as if they lived in the area. I now know how to communicate effectively with visitors to the area, especially international tourists. I have got the mindset of helping others the way I would like to be guided if I was in their situation.

There are many oral communication factors in Intercultural environments that I have managed to use effectively when dealing with tourists in my workplace. Examples include
  • ·         The use of simple English
  • ·         Speaking slowly
  • ·         Observe the visitors eye messages
  • ·         The ability to see if the visitor comprehends the information being given
  • ·         Listen without interrupting to answer the questions more effectively

When speaking to tourists, one of the main oral communication skills I have learnt to use is speaking slowly and clearly. Guffey & Loewy (2011) inform us that when it comes to oral communication skills i.e. speaking slowly and enunciating clearly, it is important to avoid fast speech and to try and over punctuate with pauses and full stops. (para.1 - Successful Oral Communication in Intercultural Environments).

Another experience I deal with almost daily is the communication with my supervisor at work. She moved to Australia about 10 years ago from Scotland, and loves it here! The 4 years that I have been working with her, she has never been anything but supportive of me and the role I play in our team. Guffey & Loewy (2011) suggest that one of the most important factors in achieving effective communication is supportiveness. This attitude requires us to support other positively with head nods, eye contact, facial expression and physical proximity. (para.1 - Techniques for Achieving Intercultural Competence). Although she is the one that continues to support me, I do feel that I support the rest of the team, and they do rely on me for specific jobs to be done in our workplace. 

I also believe that I do have an understanding of effective Intercultural competence. When communicating with the rest of the team I do believe I use descriptive, specific feedback which is an attitude of descriptiveness, a major part of Intercultural communication.

References
Guffey, M., & Loewy, D. (2011). Business communication: Process & product (7th ed.). Mason, OH: South-Western Cengage Learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment